Open Call To Young Animation Artists, Producers, Writers and Technical Directors!
Come join Animation Sans Frontières 2022-23, the 15th European Animation Development Lab.
Animation Sans Frontières is a 4×2 weeks lecture/workshop-based training programme designed to give junior European animation film and production professionals an understanding of the European and international animation industry and markets, as well the space, time and tools to develop, finance and produce their own projects, careers and eventually production companies.
ASF is the perfect chance for emerging animation professionals to:
- develop their own projects/companies, work in multidisciplinary & international teams
- learn more about the European animation industry and markets, understand coproduction
- meet a wide variety of recognised animation film, games and new media professionals
- network with other European young talents and initiate future trans-European collaborations
- be positioned in the vast international animation industry
- be guided into alternative markets and new media solutions
With the support of the Creative Europe Programme of the EU, Animation Sans Frontières is run by and at, in order of appearance:
- Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg in Germany
- Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design in Hungary
- The Animation Workshop in Denmark
- GOBELINS, l’école de l’image in France
How it works
A group of up to 16 young European animation artists, producers, scriptwriters and technical directors travels 2 weeks to each 4 school to follow 4 separate parts of an overview of the entire animation film production process, from concept development through financing and production management to marketing and distribution. Television and feature films, games and interactive media, traditional and cross-platform production processes are all covered at various stages along the way.
As a new addition to the programme, we will also organise several special collaborative events designed to meet the challenge of getting to know new technologies in order to use them to tell stories with animation. These events will include a 3-day hackathon where teams of of artists, technicians, producers and script writers will create prototypes for Animated Spaces, as well as other such workshops.
As a special supplement and based on their talent and motivation, 10 of the 16 participants will also have the opportunity to join and represent ASF at either the Cartoon Movie 2023, or the 2023 Animation Production Day or FMX 2023 events. All fees and costs are covered by ASF.
Schedule for ASF 2022-23
10 to 21 October 2022, Filmakademie, Germany
21 November to 2 December 2022, MOME, Hungary
30 January to 10 February 2023, The Animation Workshop, VIA University College, Denmark
Cartoon Movie pitching event
March 2023 (exact dates TBC), Bordeaux, France
13 to 24 March 2023, Gobelins, France
FMX Conference, Animation Production Day & ITFS Festival
25 to 27 April 2023, with an additional online day on 28 April, Stuttgart, Germany
Animation Sans Frontières is open to junior European animation professionals, and more precisely to:
- Animation artists: directors, art directors, animators, story artists, designers
- Technical directors, programmers wishing to work collaboratively in the animation industry
All participants having successfully completed ASF will receive a joint course certificate signed by all 4 partner organising schools.